Saturday, May 10, 2008

Dan and Julies' Biking Adventure

My training partner Dan is graduating on Sunday May 11th and we had been talking about doing a long ride so I took off of work on Friday and we hit the Raccoon River biking trail. It was a perfect day for riding. Our intentions were to try to get in 100 miles. I know that was aggressive for me but I figured why not try. We got on the trail at Waukee....



Dan at the start of the trail in Waukee.



I made him take a picture with the porta pottie..one of the best comments i have ever heard was at BRRR..someone had come out of the Kybo and said "if you have never used a porta pottie you do not ride bike in Iowa"

There was very little wind Friday, for some reason all of the blustery wind just quit. I was thankful for that. We were averaging about 19-20 mph to Adel it was a nice ride. We stopped in Adel for a rest and to stretch then headed for Redfield. Once in Redfield we took a little break and talked to a man coming from the other direction. We had him take a picture for us.



Dont you just love what jog bras do for you. My boobs are not oblong and it looks like the girls were cold.

Dan and I both noticed that there are alot of brick factories along this trail. Going out of Redfield I stopped when I saw what looked like old fashioned brick baking ovens. I am not sure what they are.



What are these?

After the Redfield break we both noticed that our legs were very heavy feeling it took a while to get them warmed up so we didn't stop in Linden. Our next Stop was Panora. By this time I could tell that Dan was starting to drag. Did I tell you that he had been out drinking until 3 the night before? And had just finished finals and was going to graduate. I think he was coming down off of a big high with trying to get everything done. During our workouts we always took along propel and wafer cookies so he was downing those to see if it would help him.



Propel anyone

I asked if he wanted to go on and he did for a bit. We rode to the next town which was Yale, we had turned North and were facing some wind.



After a little break we headed back to Waukee. It was a long trip for Dan his knees started to hurt on him. I had packed some cheese, crackers, fruit and wine so we stopped in Linden and had a break. In Linden we ran into the group that we had encountered in the parking lot in Waukee. When we arrived at Waukee there was a group of bikers whose bikes were loaded down with gear. Dan asked where they were headed they said Jamaica. After looking at the map we decided it was Jamaica Iowa and that they were not really lost. Any way we met them in Linden they had been riding and stopping at each town drinking beer. They were pretty happy by the time we ran into them. One of them almost fell off of his bike. We found out that they were headed to Jamaica for the night then headed to Saylorville the next day. It was training for RAGBRAI. They were funny.

After some nourishment off we went. I almost became a hood ornament at one crossing after that Dan kept yelling clear or stop at the intersections. About 16 miles from the truck Dan basically hit the wall. I told him to get behind me and I would pull him. Again we had started to encounter the wind. Dan felt bad about having to draft and said that I could go on. I would have nothing of it. Before when we had been training and I had been hurting I would tell him to go on but he would not do it he kept saying we are a team. So I was not going to leave him for anything. I told him that we are a team and to let me help him for once.

We got back to Waukee and had put in 67 miles in about 6 hours. I didn't think that was bad for a day. I was tired but it is a good tired. Dan was really tired but being young he will bounce back fairly quickly.

I will miss not having him around to train, he has helped me alot. It was/is great having someone around to push you. We are going to keep pushing each other by e-mail. time will tell if the e-mail push works or not.

Until next time keep on keeping on.

PEACE

No comments: