Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Pigman Sprint PR!!

JG and I headed over to Cedar Rapids with Alexa on Sat. morning. We arrived in time to eat lunch and then head out to get my packet and check out the water! After arriving at the lake and seeing how windy and chilly it was, we opted to head back into town and see what we felt like doing. Stopped at the grocery store for some needed items and then headed back to my in-laws. We were both pretty lazy, but all of a sudden, Julie popped up and said, I need to go run and you need to do a little something today! OK, OK, I'll go for a little jog with you. We had a nice 2 mile jog/walk and then headed out for some pre-race pasta.

With my alarm set for 5am, I quickly fell asleep, only to be woken by a thunderstorm about 4am! hmmm...not getting back to sleep anytime soon! The rain stopped about 5am and I got up to eat my oatmeal and get ready.

Off to the course by 5:40, we arrived and there were already a bunch of people there. I didn't get the spot I scoped out the previous day, but at least there was room a couple spots in from the end. Transition set up...after 2 trips back to the car for stuff! I was pretty out of it from being up so early!

Off to the beach to warm up and get ready for this race! The water felt good at 67degrees. I wore my sleeveless wetsuit and it was perfect!

This particular race started with a time trial start. Each wave lined up in the shoot with a person going off every 3 seconds. It was nice not to have to fight for a spot in the water. I swam a solid swim and didn't once run into anyone!

Out of the water my legs felt like jelly, a slow jog up to transition! Off on the bike and my legs just felt really heavy and it didn't help that we had to go uphill out of the park! About 3-4 miles into it, my legs are finally feeling better. Into Palo was about the halfway point, so I downed my GU and some water and pushed out of town back towards the park. Big hill up to the park entrance...but wait, we keep going...so it's down the hill, around to the turn around and back up the hill into the park...my legs were not liking it at all...not a good sign for the run!

Slow transition so my legs could loosen up a little and I headed out! My goal, run all the way to the mile water station! I did it! Slow to a fast walk to drink my water and off jogging again. A little walk up a little hill about 1/2 mile down the road. Jog the rest of the way to the water station again, this time, just slow down the jog a little and keep going while taking more water. Run another 1/2 mile and walk for a minute to slow the heart rate. Jogging again...dang...one more hill, walk up that....dang, there goes another in my age group! I'm not going to lose her...I keep her in my sights. As I head down the last stretch I hear people cheering and I decide to finish hard and catch that girl! About 20 yds to go I meet up with her and say: "come on...let's go!" She didn't follow, she let me have it.

It was a great race and I am really happy that my run and swim were good. Kind of sad that my bike time was slower, not sure what was wrong with my legs for that!

Here are the official times:
Swim - 500yds - 9:57
T1 - 3:38 - it is a pretty good run up to the actual transition, I didn't start running until about halfway.
Bike - 15.5m - 52:47 - avg 17.7mph
T2 - 2:01
Run - 5K - 32:43 - avg 10:32pace
Total - 1:41:04 (last year was 1:44:30)

My swim, T1, and run were faster than last year. My bike and T2 were slower. Oh what could have been done if all were faster....1:39??

I am happy with it!

No comments: