Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Healthy Living...

I use a healthy living site to help me keep track of my exercise and food consumed. It has really opened my eyes to what I am putting into my mouth. Yes, I still eat things that are "not good" for me, but I now do in way better moderation! In doing this, I also have a better idea of when I need to consume more calories because of the exercise I've been doing. It's amazing how many calories one can burn on a bike ride or a run. I ruined one HRM while swimming so now I just use their calorie estimator for my swim workouts. I'm guessing they are pretty close.

Anyway...I started in Jan 2008 and was 175lbs and am now at 160lbs. It's amazing how 15lbs can make a difference. Last summer I actually got down to 155, but with medical issues I had a relapse and gained, so now it's a quest to get down to 150lbs and keep it off, while keeping my body well fed for training! It's a great site and when I need extra motivation I just visit one of the "teams" I am on, or post a blog and get all kinds of encouragement and words of wisdom from people all over the US and Canada!

This year I bought the day to day calendar. Here are a couple of my favorite items from the last month, some are no-brainers, but it's always nice to have a refresher:

1~Make yourself a priority. Are you always doing for others but neglecting yourself? Your goals are important and you deserve to take time for yourself each day to achieve them. give yourself the attention and love that you need!

2~Drive away from the drive-thru. When you're at the bank, pharmacy, or fast food joint, park and run inside to complete your errands. You'll get a fitness boost (and save gas too).

3~Swap whole for white - grains that is. White flour, bread, rice, and pasta are highly processed and low in nutrients. Whole grain varieties are packed with nutrients, fiber and filling power.

4~Know your "red flag" menu words. Avoid restaurant items described as: battered, bottomless, breaded, buttery, cheesy, country, creamy, crispy, fried, giant, loaded, smothered, and stuffed. These are signs of a diet disaster!

5~Fill up on fiber. Found in fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans and nuts, fiber will keep you fuller longer and reduce your risk of a variety of diseases. Gradually increase your daily intake to 25-35 grams for best results.

6~Don't expect perfection. You will mess up, make mistakes, and forget along the way. The key is persistence and a willingness to learn from your mistakes. Focus on what you have done right instead of what's going wrong.

7~Spread the Spark to others by living as an example. Use positive peer pressure by practicing healthy habits in front of others, and they'll be more likely to do the same!

I have posted my race goals to the right....time to eat even better and track my fitness to get me more motivated!

No comments: