Sunday, November 2, 2008

Spooky Woods Ride/Iowa Cyclocross Championships

It was a full and fun filled weekend. Usually on Halloween I turn off the lights, Lock the door and hide. This year I saw that there was going to be a spooky woods ride. I asked JS about it, at first she said that her and Kyle were not going to go, then she e-mailed me and said that "yes" they were. So I talked Bill into going. I am glad that I did. We had a ball.

If you wanted you could meet at Rassy's bike shop at 8:00pm on Halloween and then the group would head over to Denman's ride the trail and end up at a campfire. As Usual Bill was pookie but they knew we were on the way so they waited. Most in the group had not dresses up but hey we did.



Bill was an inmate, Kyle the drummer from Def Leppard, Mindy pricess Fiona,and Kurt as Elton John even had a mirror ball. Then Andy a guy that Bill works with was "Mark", if you had ever been to Irwin's about a year ago you will know who Mark is. At the campsite we meet up with Kristin and Bruce Reese. Bruce went as Kristin and Kristin as Bruce.



JS was a jail bird, I was Country Bumpkin Eve even had fig leaves.


Off we went basically Over the river and thru the woods. The trail is good for beginners, Since Mindy had never done a night ride, JS, Mindy and I all hung back so we wouldnt slow anyone down. We put Mindy in between us. JS took the lead and would call out what was ahead..."Left", "Log", "Sharp Right", "Tight", "MUD", "UP, then down, then sharp corner..WATCH OUT FOR THE TREE AFTER THE CORNER!"...Mindy did have some costume malfunction. Her long dress kept getting caught so eventually it was tucked into her tights... We could see the campfire and hear the music yet the trail kept winding around and around and around....Finally we got to the campsite. (I will say I only hit the ground once I was so proud of myself...but I bent a fig leaf...drat).

Squirrel had carved faces out of a couple of log and had lit them they were so cool.



It was amazing how many people were there, it was fun to see all of the bikes decked out with headlights and flashing lights.. More and more people kept showing up. Cam, Julie, Fry Man, Duffy, and Alot of bikers that I recognized but do not know their names. Chili was available and of course beverages were everywhere. There was even a quarter race. We left around 10:30 everyone was getting tired. So on the bikes and off we went back to Rassy's to load up the cars and head home.

Spooky Woods Ride Pictures

Saturday was the Iowa Cyclocross Championships in Altoona. It was a beautiful day and the course was great. I wish that I would have signed up for this race. I think it would have been a little more beginner friendly. I have come to a conclusion. You can blindfold me, tape my mouth shut, and tie me up and I would still cheer. I am just a cheerleader. I cannot go to a sporting event and not cheer. It was fun to watch the juniors, beginners, womens etc. The last race the 123's was awesome. Brian Eppen and Tony Nichols went back and forth for an hour. Brian was having bike issues, He even had a single speed mt bike for a lap. It was a great race, on the last lap people were lined along the trail to the finish line, Tony made the first move however Brian over took him by about a wheel. That is what cyclocross is all about. I spent Most of the Day with Julie, Scott Sumpter's girlfriend, since JS was in Colfax. She finally arrived around 4:30 with Alexa and Kyle's mom. So there were 3 Julie standing together...It was a good day.

Iowa Cyclocross championship pics

Next on the list for JS and I is Cranksgiving, Tour De Lights and Jingle Cross. I thought that once Sept hit things would slow down but that has not happened. I think Dec will be slower but you never know.

Until then PEACE!

DO NOT FOLLOW WHERE THE PATH MAY LEAD. GO INSTEAD WHERE THERE IS NO PATH AND LEAVE A TRAIL- Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 comments:

Mindy said...

WE sure had fun! Great times with Great Friends!!!!!!

Julie said...

Just watchin' Jingle Cross...correct?!?

Jules said...

Yep we are only going to be spectators with cowbells and beverages in our hands for Jingle Cross...

Julie said...

mmm...beverages! Hot Cocoa with some schnapps!

Jules said...

Of course the schnapps is the not so secret ingredient...Love the new look of the blog..good job!