Saturday, November 22, 2008

Cranksgiving

JS and I participated in Cranksgiving today,what a blast. I picked up JS and we headed over to Mars Cafe on University where the race started. We were there early so we had coffee and hot chocolate before we registered. I would say that there were about 100 bikers in all. About 5 minutes before 1 all of the participants had to place their bikes by the "garages" and then go and stand next to the wall. There we were given our list of "12" items that needed to be purchased from "12" different stores. JS and I were not even going to try to make a race of this we were aiming for DFL. Once "GO" was said you ran to your bike and away you went. Did I mention that it was snowing pretty good at this time. I am not exactly sure where we were going so I just followed JS, and went where she went. You could not help but get into the spirit of the adventure. We would ride and run from place to place. It was fun watching the people reaction to all of "those" cyclist. It almost looked like RAGBRAI was in town at some stops there were bikes everywhere. I had the BOB trailer so we piled the heavy items on that and put the rest in our backpacks. On the way back to Mars cafe we decided it was to cold to try and get DFL so we unpacked our stash and went in to warm up.

All of the items collected are to be given to the Food Bank of Iowa. It was great to see so many familiar faces, they had a great turn out and had some great prizes to give away, JS won a gift certificate to a place in Ames, and I won a 12 pack of Bud Light. JS had just said to me "You are going to win the beer", I replied "Probably" then they picked my name. I told JS and JH that it was beer for next weeks Jingle Cross.

This is just a very quick over view but they say that a pic is worth 1000 words so just check out the pics below and you will see for yourself how much fun we had.

Just a quick note there are 4 Julies' that bike it is great if we are all together and someone asks our name and we all say Julie, or if someone yells "Julie" and we all look. There is Julie Ann, Julia Ann, Julie Anne and Julie Ruth. otherwise known as JS, JG, JH AND JV.



JH enjoying herself



JS being a nut



The truck with all of the items.



JV having just a little too much fun with Cam :)


Sunday night it is on to Tour De Lights...wait till you see the full costumes of JS, Mindy and JG.

This holiday season do something nice for someone less fortunate than you, it is good for the heart and soul.

PEACE

No comments: