Saturday, April 5, 2008

Reality Check

Today was a reality check for me. The lifeguard at the pool where I swim who has been helping me with my swim wanted to do a tri today to see where his fitness was. I was game because I figured I would be able to see where my fitness was. Well it sucks there is no other way to put it. We swan a 1500 it went ok, however the bike stunk. I was pretty much done after the first 2 miles and there was a long way to go. We even had the wind on the way out which meant it was going to be a long and windy ride back and it was. It was pretty much limp my way back to the pool. There was no way I was going to run. I really didnt think of any thing on the way home I just wanted to get there. After a nap I evaluated the days event and came up with the following.

1. I need to get outside on the bike, start doing hills and getting miles on.
2. I have to figure out what to eat. Once we reached Peoria I was shaking. I could feel how weak my legs were.
3. I need to rethink my tri goals. When I first signed up for this I wanted to do the following. Swim = 30 minutes, Bike 1 hour 15 mins, run 1 hour. I need to reevaluate this I am thinking it needs to be more like swim 45 minutes, bike 1 1/2 hours, run 1 1/2 hours.
4. I need to keep telling myself that I am not 30 anymore. I am 45 and need to realize that.
5. I need to learn of a way to keep my heartrate down. After the swim it just shot up and took to much time to come back down.
5. The goal should be to finish, have fun and get in shape.

I have to get in my mind that I can do this. I dont have to be the fastest, I just need to do my race and not worry about what other people are doing.

I can do this, I can do this, I can do this....

PEACE

No comments: